How To Install a Water Heater with SharkBite Fittings
Plumbing without pain: fast water heater installation is as simple as mark, push, and check for leaks
Water heaters are one of the most important components for providing comfort in homes. However, very often they are located in difficult to access, confined spaces, or tight closets. With SharkBite flexible water heater connectors, you are able to work in tight spaces.
Easily connect water heaters with existing pipes that don't line up, and have the versatility to connect the water heater to almost any pipe material. All SharkBite water heater connectors are approved for use on electric or gas water heaters with a flue vent.
SharkBite offers braided and corrugated flexible water heater connectors with and without ball valves. Connectors with ball valves provide a shutoff on the supply side of the water heater. Check your local plumbing codes to see if hard piping to your water heater is required. Stainless steel corrugated connectors can be used as an alternative to hard piping.
How to install a SharkBite Flexible water heater connector:
- First, identify the pipe material.
- Measure the distance from the hot and cold lines to the water heater to choose the right length connector.
- Cut the pipe as cleanly and squarely as possible. Be sure the pipe is free of scratches and debris. If you are handling copper pipe, remove any sharp edges or burrs.
- Use SharkBite depth and deburr tool to measure and mark the insertion depth on your pipe. you can find the insertion depth chart on SharkBite.com
- Sharkbite water heater connectors use a gasket to seal onto the water heater pipe nipples, so thread tape is not required.
- hand tighten the female connector onto the pipe nipple, then give a quarter-turn with a wrench. Be sure not to over-tighten.
- Push the fitting to the insertion mark you just made on the pipe, repeat on the hot water outlet side.
- Now, turn on the water and check the connections. If you notu=ice water dripping from the pipe nipple connections, use a wrench to further tighten.
Using SharkBite is fast, efficient, and reliable.