How to Use A Versi-Foam Low-Pressure Spray Foam Kit
Frame the perimeter, sweep the field, repeat.
VERSI-FOAM systems are factory tested to meet rigid performance standards. Proper function of the product is totally dependent upon strict adherence to the operating instructions included in this manual.
In all cases, kits should be operated in the upright position (with tank valves on top) and remain in the original cartons during operation. Failure to do so will result in loss of pressure.
Always wear protective gear:
- Chemical-resistant safety goggles, to protect your eyes
- NIOSH-approved respirator, to protect your lungs
- Chemical-resistant clothing, to reduce exposure to skin
- Nitrile gloves
Prepare for spraying:
The medium VERSI-FOAM Systems includes two chemical components (A-Component in the green tank and B-Component in the white tank), a gun attached to two 10-foot hoses, and a packet including 10 mixing nozzles, 3 fan tips, a pair of nitrile gloves, a wrench petroleum jelly, Operating Instructions, and Safety Data Sheet (SDS).
- Attach hose labeled "N to the green A-Component tank.
- Hand-tighten the collar nut (on the end of the hose assembly) to the tank and secure with the wrench. Do not over tighten. Over tightening could damage the valve threads or cause the valve stem to break.
- Repeat these steps to attach the other hose to the white B-Component tank.
Spray the foam:
The patented U-CONTROL gun permits the user to meter the flow of material, dispensing only the amount of foam needed for the job at a convenient speed. Hold the gun like a pistol, pull the trigger all the way back, and then ease it forward until you find the position that gives you the best results. Always keep your system in an upright position during application
- Stand 18” to 24” from your target. If you wish to move closer to avoid splatter, adjust the pressure applied to the trigger.
- Spray a strip around the perimeter of the area you want to cover.
- With a back and forth motion of your wrist, fill in the area from top to bottom. Attaching the fan tip (by screwing on to the threaded end of the mixing nozzle) will result in a wide, flat, fan pattern.
- To apply a thin layer move your wrist faster. To apply a thick layer move slowly.
The foam will expand 5 to 6 times its original volume, so be careful not to apply too much in a single pass. Once the foam is dried and cured you can apply additional layers to achieve the thickness you desire.
When estimating the amount of foam for a specific project, remember that published yields are theoretical, based on foam density and the weight of the chemicals packaged in the kits. Allow for variations in material requirements.
Many factors affect foam yield
- Chemical temperature and surface temperature cause variations.
- Surface irregularities
- Number of layers needed to achieve the desired thickness
- Free-rise vs. enclosed cavities
- It is recommended to estimate that 10 percent to 25 percent more foam will be required than exact measurements indicate.
—This video is from Versi-Foam Systems, one of ProTradeCraft's advertisers. RHH Foam Systems was founded in 1981 by Richard Heitzer, who's extensive experience in the cold storage construction industry recognized the need for a low-pressure disposable spray foam kit for on-the-job use. Their offices are in New Berlin, WI. View all Versi-Foam's content