Complicated shapes de-complexified
Rich Wagner, of Tapco tools, demonstrates how to bend a soffit miter strip for vinyl siding from standard aluminum coil stock.
How to do it:
- Begin soffit side-down
- Slide in all the way to the hinge
- Hem the seam
- Insert the metal finish side up, hem out. leaving about 2-1/2 inches,
- Bend a 90 degree angle.
- Remove the piece, flip it over and slide back in, finish side down.
- Bend up 90 degrees, tighten that bend.
- Slip the unhemmed edge in, using the brake as a stop,
- Bend up 90 degrees (yielding a 3/4 in pocket).
- Flip the meat over again, finish side down, but hem to brake
- Bend 180 degrees and tighten the bend.
Rich bent this soffit miter in less than a minute; can you beat him?
—This video is from Tapco Tools, one of ProTradeCraft's advertisers. Serving professional siding applicators since 1961, Tapco brakes and accessories bring measuring, mobility, decorative designs, and strengthening ribs to fascia, window trims, frieze boards, porch posts, and beams. See all of Tapco's content here.