If you can only fit one laser level in your bucket, this one is a good choice
Bosch has kind of gone crazy in the laser department over the past couple of years, but it’s been great for professionals in layout and carpentry applications. The newest addition is the Bosch GCL 2-160.
This unit self-levels up to +/- 4 degrees and blinks if it is beyond that mark. The lasers are arranged in a cross-line fashion. Plumb points are also included.
The unit is compact and lightweight, at just over a pound.
You can extend the detection beyond visible range to 165 feet by pairing with a Bosch laser receiver.
The unit is rated against dust and water intrusion so it should be able to handle most jobsite conditions.
The laser is packaged with Bosch’s RM 1 Magnetic Rotating Mount to give you 360-degree versatility. It can be attached using the integrated magnets or included ceiling grid clip.
While I haven’t seen it in person yet, I assume that it has a slot to be held by a screw or nail as well.
“The Bosch GCL 2-160 Self-Leveling Cross-Line Laser with Plumb Points is the versatile cross-line laser tool for the professional user. If you’re a carpenter or a plumber and only have room for one laser tool, the GCL 2-160 is it. This tool was specifically made for you.”
– Tony Kang, product manager, measuring tools, Robert Bosch Tool Corporation
The Bosch GCL 2-160 comes in with features to suit most Pros including self-leveling capability, a decent IP54 rating, a red laser visible up to 65 feet that can be extended to 165 feet with a receiver, and cross line lasers with plumb points.
The price comes down a little bit from models like the GLL 2-20 and is also pretty lightweight at 1.08 pounds.
This should be a solid performer from the Bosch laser line for professional users.
- Compact, weighing just 1.08 lbs
- Delivers visible lines up to 65 feet for horizontal leveling, vertical leveling, and plumb transfer applications
- Receiver mode works with Bosch line laser receivers up to 165-ft away
- VisiMax technology monitors power consumption to maximize line visibility and extend battery life
- Up to ±4° self-leveling with out-of-level indicator
- IP54 rating
- Includes RM 1 magnetic rotating mount
- Includes ceiling grid clip
- Manual mode to lock lasers at any angle
- Model: Bosch GCL 2-160
- Power Source: (3) AA alkaline batteries
- Accuracy Laser lines: ± 1/8 @ 33 ft
- Accuracy Laser points: ±9/32 @ 33 ft
- Laser Diode: Class II 635 – 650 nm
- Leveling Type: Self-Leveling, Up to 4°
- Material: Composite
- Mount Threading: 1/4″, 5/8″
- Operating Temperature: 14° F / -10° C ~1 22° F / 50° C
- Visible Range: Up to 65 feet
- Receiver Range: Up to 165 feet
- Weight: 1.08 lb
- Includes: RM 1 Magnetic Rotating Mount, Ceiling Grid Clip, Hard Carry Case, Laser Target Plate, (3) AA Batteries
- Warranty: 1 year
- Price: $179
—When Kenny Koehler was last featured on ProTradeCraft, he was testing the finger-saving technology of Reaxx and SawStop tablesaws as a contributing editor to ProToolReviews.com. We are glad to see that this month's entry from ProToolReviews has him covering laser levels.