Installing a standing seam metal roof is a straightforward process for simple roofs like the one in this video by Union Corrugating, showing how to install endwall flashing with standing seam panels.
How to install the Z-closures at the top of standing seam metal roof panels
- Install the z-closures.
- Apply butyl tape sealant to the bottom of the z-closure.
- Install z-closures with pancake head wood screws at 3" on center or a minimum of 4 per z-closure.
- Field cut z-closures to fit between panel ribs.
- Install screws 3 inches on center.
- Apply tube sealant to the ends of the z-closure adjacent to the panel legs.
- Hook the endwall trim to the z-closure.
- Secure the endwall trim to the z-channel with pop rivets spaced 18" on center along the length of the trim.
Three options for counterflashing the endwall trim
OPTION 1: Surface Mounted Counterflashing
- Fasten the counterflashing with customer-supplied anchors spaced 18 inches apart.
- Apply tube sealant continuously along the counterflashing, generously filling the space between the flashing and the wall.
OPTION 2: Siding
- Fasten the endwall trim with pancake head wood screws spaced 12" on center along the length of the trim.
- The trim will be covered once the siding is installed.
OPTION 3: Reglet
- Cut groove approximately 1" deep in masonry above trim to receive the reglet.
- Reglet should be placed in the groove.
- The groove should be filled with tube sealant.